I’ve cast on Delphine in Moda Vera Ambrosia for around the fourth time. This is the furthest I’ve gotten, and so far so good. But seriously people, the shaping is done by going down needle sizes, so you start out on a 3.5mm, go to a 3.0mm and finish on a 2.75mm (which seems REALLY small when you are working with sport weight yarn!!). When you are swatching, you are doing three of the sons of bitches. Add to this that your swatches are done in pattern repeats and measured afterwards, as in x pattern repeats by x rows should measure x by x cms THREE TIMES – point being, I didn’t do it. Nobody likes swatching and this kind of ridiculous level of swatching is never going to happen.
Now, this is the way I figure it… Minimal shaping and fit required for the main body tube, so until we reach the bust we’re pretty cool as long as it’s big enough to go around me. I’m going to put the stitches on waste yarn and try the suckah on occasionally to assess how good the fit is. Yes, it probably wastes more time than swatching for gauge, but the fact of the matter is even when I have acheived gauge on a project, it has rarely lasted and i’ve ended up STILL being off, so I reckon I’m gonna try it this way.
I’m totally a rebel like that.